With my Thudd Guns and Basilisk painted I started right in on the display board I had decided on. I was pretty excited to start this project because scenery has always been a "learning on the fly" kind of thing for me. For the first time in a long time I actually planned and drew this one out. I knew what I needed and how big I wanted it to be. Getting to the final stages was the fun part.
I started out with a sheet of the 1" pink insulation foam, drywall plaster, lots of varying sizes of sand, glue, water effects and glue....lots of glue. I cut a sheet of plywood I had around the house to 2'x2' and started cutting and placing the foam to match the drawing. I glued it all down with white PVA glue and threw a ton of books onto it to weigh it down and keep it in place.
Once it was dry I shaped the edges of the water pool and the hill. After that I cut out the hole for the sewer drain and fixed the cup in place. Now it was time to do some mixing. I used some fine sand mixed with drywall plaster and glue for the "concrete" look and different sized sand with drywall plaster and glue for the dirt. After plastering the hell out of it I added the cracked Imperial Eagle and a walkway by the sewer drain.
On to painting! I started by priming it a dark brown then went on to dry brushing the dirt, painting the concrete and then airbrushing the water areas.
Once that was done I airbrushed the sewer water areas and started deciding on colors for the eagle and walkway. I ended up going with a blue for the eagle. Mainly just because it was close at hand and I like throwing brighter colors into my projects. Wherever it is cracked I painted it to match the concrete. The walkway I painted a camo green then weathered and rusted it. Once that was done and after running some ideas past a friend of mine that was over for a paint night I decided to do some kind of graffiti on the wall which then prompted me to add a zombie "tagger". Along with the tagger I added a few more zombies walking through the muck and some random body parts.
Now it was on to the pour! I've had to do about 4 pours and hopefully 4 is the magic number. It is cloudy when it pours but drys clear to show the color underneath.
While the water effects are drying I've started a waterfall effect that, if it works out, I will add to the end of the sewer pipe. Once thats attached I am going to swirl more brackish colored water effects where the fall hits the water. I also have to add a bit more weathering to the wall. The last thing I'm going to have to do is add grass tufts to the dirt areas.
Hopefully I will have this done in the next few days. I'll be posting up a bunch of pictures of the completed project soon. Until then here are the completed Thudd Guns and Basilisk.