Done, Done, and Done!!!
Now I know I said I was going to do some WIP pics and I really had every intention of doing so, but once I started painting I found myself forgetting to take pictures of each stage. So i'll run it down a little for you as I post the pics. Here I go assuming you really give a damn how I painted it but by god you'll look and maybe even read it. This project took a fair bit of time but it was a lot of fun to complete. I finished it on the 19th of June but because of work requirements I wasn't able to post anything until now. Here we go.
Stage 1: As you all saw in the first post after priming the tank black I sprayed a coat of mechrite red over pretty much the whole tank. (damn GW and changing mechrite red to some other darn color)
Stage 2: Now that the base red color is on the tank I sprayed the highlight red which is a Vallejo game color over most of the tank leaving some of the mechrite red showing in some recessed areas.
Stage 4: Now that the skull piles are done I moved on to getting all of the major colours on the tank. I started with Vallejo Bronze on all of the icons and the armour edging on the gunner. Then on to all of the blacks found on the guns. Next was all of the boltgun metal as I knew this was going to take a while.
Stage 5: Once all of the primary colors were on the tank I moved on to edge highlighting everything. I mean everything. This part takes the longest but it really makes a difference. I knew a lot of the red highlighting was going to be covered over when I drybrushed the entire tank with boltgun metal to give it a weathered look, but in places where the boltgun metal didnt get you would still be able to see the highlight. The color I used to highlight the red was a dark fleshtone. This color seems to work a lot better than straight orange.
Stage 7: Now I was on to the weathering portion of the painting. As I stated earlier I used a large tank brush and drybrushed the entire tank with boltgun metal. This automatically highlighted all of the rivets and gave the tank a "used" look. After I was done drybrushing I went back over the edges and random areas of the tank with the boltgun metal to look like the paint had worn off in certain areas all flowing front to back.
Stage 8: The second thing I did for weathering was break out my rust and soot pigments that I have had lying around the basement for the past 2 years. I haven't used these yet and I really wanted to try out a technique I read about. I used two different tones of rust on all of the spikes and chains. Starting with the darker tone I mixed it with Vallejo matte varnish and thinned it out with water. I then spread this on all of the areas I wanted rusted then did the same thing but I little more sparingly with the lighter tone. Once the rust was done I used the same technique to do the soot on the guns, exhaust and also used it to look like dirt on the bottom of the tank and its tracks.
Stage 9: Last thing to do was paint the guy hanging on the side of the tank. I was really looking forward to painting him. He got the standard, if not easy to paint, black pants and boots. I painted his shirt camo green and the wife beater white. I painted the skin by applying a cadmium skin tone then washing it with purple. I then highlighted it with elf skin tone. Once complete I placed blood coming out of his eyes, ears, mouth and of course his shoulder sockets.
Here are pics of the completed project. I hope that helped give you a better idea of how I painted this model.